Winter Formal – Saturday, January 24
A Note from the Upper School Student Government
Dear Upper School Parents,
The time of year has come for the Upper School’s annual Winter Formal Dance. The accompanying letter from the administration (see below) explains the rules and expectations, but we would like to address the specifics of the evening.
This year, the theme of the dance will be “Masquerade.” Student Government will be providing an assortment of masks at the dance, but students are certainly welcome to bring their own if they wish. As usual, the dance will cost $10 per person, with the money going toward Student Government projects.
As one of the two “formal” dances Student Government hosts every year, Winter Formal occurs in the Upper School Commons. Students may only be dropped off and picked up in the Upper School parking lot.
Again, please refer to the Dean and Head’s letter for important times and rules to keep in mind. We are looking forward to another fun dance!
Mateo Garcia-Novelli, Jaimeson Frazier, Natalie Scumaci, and Esther Pae
Student Government Officers, 2014-2015
Important Winter Formal Dance Reminders
Dear Upper School Families,
The Upper School students are having a Winter Formal Dance on Saturday, January 24. For safety reasons, we will apply the same rules about attendance and entry as we did in the fall. Please make note of the following:
- The dance will take place from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Students must arrive by 8:00 p.m., at which time the doors are locked to prevent further entry. Once a student leaves the dance, he or she will not be allowed to return.
Freshmen & Sophomores Only – The refinements that follow are important because they allow parents to be certain of their child’s whereabouts during the time of the dance.
- Underclassmen are expected to remain at the dance until 9:30 p.m. It is only with a parent’s permission that they are allowed to leave before the end time.
- If your child has permission to leave the dance early, we ask that parents email Dean Atanasoff ([email protected]) by 4:00 p.m. Friday, January 23, 2015.
- If parents choose to pick up their child early that evening, he or she will be dismissed directly to his or her parents.
- Should a student wish to leave early and we don’t have prior knowledge of this request, a student can call from our office to receive parental permission to leave.
As always, an appropriate dance style (no grinding) is expected of all students and their guests. Those who violate this regulation will be asked to leave immediately and make a call to their parents to explain why they have been asked to leave.
On a positive note, because the students serve as their own dj and are asked to refrain from choosing music that encourages “grinding,” it appears that we have had fewer issues with this the past few dances. We all continue to fight the good fight on this front, and your understanding and support of this policy is greatly appreciated.
From our perspective, Fall’s Homecoming Dance 2014 was a great success, and we hope Saturday’s Mid-Winter Dance 2015 will be another enjoyable evening for everyone!
Jason Atanasoff, Dean of Students
Everett R. McKinney, Head of Upper School