Middle School Mission Statement – The Middle School affirms the School’s mission by developing and fostering self-worth, responsibility, character, knowledge, and the abilities of all students.
Welcome to Middle School and four years of new adventures! We are excited to have you join us and trust the transition from Primary School will be a smooth one. Please know that we are always available to you and no question is too small.
First, introductions. The voice you will hear when you call the Middle School is our administrative assistant, Carol Schmidlkofer. She will cheerfully answer your questions, and direct you elsewhere when necessary. ([email protected], 262-752-2551)
My name is Bonnie Benes, and I am the Head of the Middle School. I oversee the faculty, provide curricular leadership, and manage the daily life of our school. I am also here for you. While you will work most closely with your child’s advisor (more information on this important program later), I am also available should you need further help. You can reach me at [email protected] or 262-752-2551.
Second, save the dates. We have a number of orientation opportunities coming up and I would encourage you to get these into your calendar right away. Each one will play an important part in your family’s transition to Middle School.
- May Shadow Days: Your child will be paired with a 5th grade buddy and will enjoy a day in the Middle School sometime during the month of May.
- Welcome to MS Parent Night – Thursday, May 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m.: This parent-only event is mandatory and is our most important orientation event. You will meet current MS students and parents, learn about the advisory program, what you can expect from us and what we will expect from you, and more. You will also meet the MS teachers and learn your way around the MS. (Childcare not provided.)
- Parent Visit Week – May 26-28: Parents of incoming 5th graders are invited to observe MS classes. Sign up at the Welcome to MS Parent Night for this opportunity to experience the Middle School first hand.
- 4/5 Open Gym – Thursday, June 4, 6-8 p.m.: Your child will be invited to attend their first MS Open Gym with the current 5th graders. An invitation/permission slip will be sent home with your child in May.
- New Student Orientation – Monday, August 17, 10 a.m.-noon: All incoming 5th graders will participate in this getting-to-know-you event. Your student will receive valuable information, enjoy friendship activities and eat pizza! You will receive an e-vite in July.
- MS Back to School Night – Thursday, August 27, 6:30-8:30 p.m.: You’ll want to join us to learn more about PowerSchool, MS sports, and the many opportunities offered in Middle School. You’ll also visit the classrooms and hear all the final details of the upcoming Outdoor Environmental Education (OEE) trip to Timber-lee.
- Outdoor Education Experience (OEE) – September 9-11, 2015: This trip really gets the year off to a great start! The classroom is taken outside and 5th/6th graders participate in leadership training, team building exercises, and relationship building between faculty and peers. Located in rural East Troy, Camp Timber-lee is the perfect venue for this trip.
Third, course selection. In 5th grade, your student will take Math, Science, Reading, English, Social Studies, and PE. In addition, you and your student will choose from options such as music, art, theatre, and robotics, to name a few. After Spring Break, you will receive information regarding this process via email. Watch for it!
Finally, communication. We want you to be well informed and there is much information to disseminate. We strive to keep our communication both concise and thorough at the same time. We use “The Weekly” (the school-wide email newsletter) for the vast majority of our communication with you. Please check it each Sunday in preparation for the coming week. Also, please be sure your contact information in PowerSchool is correct so you don’t miss any communications that come your way.
Fifth grade is a pivotal year with much change. You will be amazed at how your student will grow this year in every way. Beyond academics, we will be working together to instill further responsibility, accountability, and increased organizational skills, while negotiating the challenges of adolescence. Thank you for trusting us with your child! It’s going to be a great year!
Bonnie Benes, Head of Middle School
[email protected] / 262.752.2551